Things to do with a button-down Pt. 2

1.9.11

Sorry I'm so flaky haha. It's the unfortunate combination of business + laziness. Oh, and I also have to apologise for the slightly bad photos in this tutorial! There's not a lot of space in my room right now. If anything is unclear, just ask and I will explain! Luckily this is probably the easiest tutorial I've made yet, so you shouldn't have any trouble.

You will need...


Two shirts + a sewing machine or needle and thread. Pick whatever colours you like / have. The shirts should be of similar material / weight. If one of them has more of a structured collar, you might need to sew some of the interfacing from that shirt into the other shirt. Or not, up to you.

What you must do...

From the collar, cut along the middle (or about 2cm to the right) of the back of one shirt (the one with the collar you want to keep) and remove 1/2 of the shirt. Do the same with the other shirt, but cut off the collar.


Oh god this is the most useless photo ever. Basically, right sides together, sew the collar to the other shirt-half. Make sure the space between the edge of the shirt and the start of the collar is even on both sides. Right sides together, sew the shirt-halves together along the edge you cut just now, and you should have one complete shirt!


In my case, because I have a mens shirt and a womens shirt I ended up with two sets of button holes. If this happens to you too, DO NOT WORRY. You can sew buttons on anyway and the old button holes will be covered up. If you don't have that problem, remove the buttons already on the shirt, and replace with the buttons that were on the other shirt. If you want. Up to you. Either way, you might need to reposition the buttons to make sure they match with the other shirt. BASICALLY, at this point you need to sort yer buttons out.


Cut off the sleeves. Or leave them, idk. Put it on, see if you want to take it in at all.

Take it in if necessary, make the shoulders narrower, hem the sleeves and the bottom, and you are DONE.


18 comments:

  1. I really like your ideas :)I look forward to more :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks lovely, must try this! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! I really like how you set up your tutorials - it's always inexpensive and pretty simple. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! Who knows, I may actually bust out my sewing machine and give it a go

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a cute idea, I hope to thrift some shirts to try this out on!

    Mallory
    whitwatwear

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love what you can do with clothes! It's very inspiring!

    http://blackfashionbird.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a fabulous idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooo great idea.

    J x
    jjnoir.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a cool creative thought! ♥ i love you already, glad to find you on Lookbook. -Lauren (aka Laukki)

    lots a love, love and LOOVEE,
    http://himandherproject.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad I found your blog, I love it!x

    ReplyDelete
  11. will be giving this a go! absolutely love your blog

    Helen x
    http://helenandthegap.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Theme designed by Filipa • you are the poet